TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoulder Pain Too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manster
New

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Shoulder Pain Too Reply with quote

I know how my shoulder pain started, but I don't know how to stop it. Basically when I am lazy I lock my elbows and rest all of my upper body weight on the handle bars. This takes all the strain off my back and allows me to "rest" as I pedal along. Unfortunately I started using this posture too much i.e. even when Mt. Biking on rocky trails and absorbing all of the impacts to the front wheel in my shoulders. It got to the point where I could not raise my arms over my head in the morning without lots of pain. Time off the bike definitely helped but the pain quickly returns after every ride. I feel sure it is just a repetitive injury and nothing more serious (like arthritus) since none of my other joints are effected. Any suggestions above and beyond the obvious - "you need to change your riding posture" would be appreciated.
Manster
New

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have read you reply to drichman before I ask your advice. Though undiagnosed my shoulder pain sounds very similar to his, and I have riser bars on my bike too. The most I have ever stayed off my bike to let my shoulders heal was one week. Biking is a bit of an addiction I have trouble living without. I am going to take your advice to drichman and see if I can rent a recumbent bike for about 6 weeks so that I can still train while my shoulders heal.

Needless to say I am trying very hard not to lock my elbows when I ride, but it is proving to be a hard habit to break.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manster:

Also looking at putting a set of bar ends on the bike to allow you alternating hand positions. You are right in noting locking the elbows is not beneficial for your shoulder; a 45 degree bend will help provide isolation from the implacts.. The recumbent will save your shoulder while you still get some road miles in to keep your legs and brain in good form. Don't sell you mountain bike; MTBs rule off road. Have your suspension tuned while your are taking a break from mountain biking. Go with 4+ inches of travel with a soft initialy setting that will isolate the high frequency low impact vibration (gravel type riding) and still have the the firmness for the bigger impacts. Also go with FAT tires 2.5+ inches running at lower pressure settings depending on your weight from 28 to 35lbs/sq.in. to get further isolation from the gravely type of impacts.

If the pain persists get an evaluation by a sports medicine physician and a physical therapist familiar with bicycling who may want to evaluate your position on the bike to fine tune your set up.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: