TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More shoulder pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: More shoulder pain Reply with quote

I've been off the bike for 3 weeks now due to pneumonia. For about 2 weeks now I've been suffering with stabbing pain in my shoulder. About 3 days to a week before the pain started, I fell pretty badly on that shoulder, but the lag between the fall and the pain was substantial. I thought it might be related to sleeping one night with my arm stretched over my head due to road rash. I have pretty minimal insurance coverage, and no job, and I'm concerned that if I get it formally diagnosed, when I do have a job and real insurance (god forbid, which will be soon) I'll have a pre-existing condition and be SOL for coverage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

stackout:

The pain could be due to the recent pneumonia you had. If there was pleural (the lining of the outer lung and the inner chest wall) inflammation associated with the pneumonia, that could account for the pain. Characteristic pleural pain is worse with deep breathing. Another possible cause could be an inflammation to the tendon and bursa of the shoulder triggered by crash you had. That type of pain is made worse with movement of the involved limb. The third possibility is nerve inflammation triggered by you sleeping with your arm over your head. This type of pain is usually a burning, tingling sensation that often is associated with numbness and weakness of the involved limb. This kind of pain though is usually of short duration 24 hours or less.

Treatment for pleurisy is anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen) and treatment of the underlying pneumonia. Treatment of tendinitis/bursitis and neuritis are also anti-inflammatory therapy and resting of the injured extremity for 2-3 weeks then gradual strengthening exercises.

If there is any worsening of your symptoms, do seek medical evaluation.

I hope this information helps. God's blessings for the new job.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Went to the doctor today (follow up on the pneumonia) and she said it was probably a strained rotator cuff. Gave me some exercises. Guess I better figure out how to dismount on the right before Wurstcross!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: