TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On your Left
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee pain Reply with quote

Doc

Can I ride this weekend?

I've been doing some road rides - ave. of about 50 miles - over the last few weeks, almost always in the big ring. Last weekend I did a hard fast paced mtn bike ride with some experts over 25 miles then Sunday I did about 35 miles on the road. Since then i've had pain above and below my left patella and to a lesser degree my right.

I guess this may be tendinitus? Since Monday i've been resting my legs, icing the area, elevating when I can and was taking Tylenol. Since yesterday i've been taking Oxaprozin (left over from when I had shoulder t). I think my bike adjustments are good.

Can I get in a low stress ride or two this weekend even if I feel a small amount of discomfort/irritation? What are the possible risks?

Thanks in advance.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

drichman:

Go easy on the knees. You may have tendonisits or triggered some inflamation to the cartiledge to the knee joint with the big ring hammering. There are more days to ride for you if you go easy on those knees. For know, I recommend another week of rest but with gentle range of motion exercises such as pedalling in the air while laying on your back or sitting in a recliner. After the rest interval start back on the bike but go with low gearing, high cadence, targeting for the 90 to 110 RPM range. Avoid the big gear mashing, hammer fests for the next couple of weeks. If at anytime there is worsening pain or you knees are not better in another week seek an evaluation by your physician or an orthopedic doctor.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: