TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terlingua nutrion question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATOMICPUNK
New

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Terlingua nutrion question Reply with quote

I am doing the 50k race, pls help me on what to eat the night before, the morning and during the race. I recently did a 4hour race in Dallas and my body just suht down. zi dont think iate the right foods.

thx
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATOMICPUNK:

You want to maximize your muscle glycogen stores so the traditional high carbohydrate intake is in order for 2-3 days before the big race. During the race you are going to need calories galore. There will not be enough in a standard energy drink to meet your needs. So you will want to look at things that are easy to chew and swallow during your ride. Energy gels are a VERY UNATTRACTIVE solution on the trail when you see all the empty foil packs dumped on the trail by racers. After one race in Warda, I cleared over 600 energy gel packs off the trail, so you can understand my EXTREME displeasure with the manufactures who make a product, that despite their best intentions, gets turned into looooong term garbage on the trail. So if you choose an energy gel go with a refillable, reusable flask. Nuff said there.

Other options including making your own high energy snacks for the trail. I make a batch of oatmeal cookies and trail mix of salted nuts, chopped dried dates, raisins and peanut M & Ms to pack in a lot of calories in small packages. You will have to take in foods higher in fat during an endurance race. You body will be in a fat metabolism mode anyway as your glycogen stores will be depleted by the duration and intensity of the event. The key is to eat small amounts through out the ride every 30 minutes or so. Some racers pack peanut butter and jelly sandwich quarters in small baggies. The trick is to put peanut butter on both sides of the the bread and it keeps the jelly from getting the bread mushy. Visit with other endurance racers and find out what works for them. It will take some experimenting in your training to find out what your systems will tolerate best.

Do take a sport drink to get the extra sodium, potassium and simple sugar that can help you absorb more fluid and stave off your glycogen depletion and dehydration. You should target drinking 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of energy drink an hour to replace your fluid losses especially at the dry desert altitudes you will be racing.

Thanks,
ATOMICPUNK
New

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the info !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: