TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower back pain after long rides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misspositive
New

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Lower back pain after long rides Reply with quote

I talked to a several people who also experienced this problem where the lower back on the left or right side is sore after doing long hard rides.

I've tried riding with no pack and a lighter pack. Standing more when possible. I've tried stretching before the rides. I do core exercises twice a week ... but of these things seem to make any difference.

The pain is not in my spine area but the muscle on my left side. Some rides it is mild and I feel ok the next day and others ... seems like it takes a couple of days before it completely goes away.

I have not had my bike adjusted since I purchased it a couple of years back so I'm wondering if I'm just riding it incorrectly or if maybe over the years it is fitting me differently.

Is there something else I could try to prevent the back ache after 15 miles ... which is when I start to feel the ache?

Thanks

Kimberly
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberly:

I must do something that is taboo, what age are you? It may be with aging, your back is not as limber as it use to be and you may benefit from a shorter, higher stem and or a more forward seat position. It is possible your seat has gradually shifted rearward, which is over stretching your back. Have a good bike shop with a BikeFit system check your positioning. Keep in mind though that the BikeFit systme is based on limber young racers. If you are 40+, you will want a more upright and less stretched out position. A visit to a physical therapist can be benficial in looking for leg length discrepancy. If your left leg is longer than adjustments on your bike set up would also be in order, such as a longer left crank arm or shims to your right shoe cleats to bring the right leg into ballance with the left.

Thanks,
Misspositive
New

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the 40+ group and I have not had any adjustments in awhile on this bike. I suspected that this might be the next step for me. I had a screening on my spine alignment and bone density a few months ago and they gave me a thumbs up for that. I will get a formal check if I don't see an improvement after I get a fitting with my bike.

Thank you for the response.

Kimberly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: