TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whack your shins with the pedal...post swelling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahsanantonio
New

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Whack your shins with the pedal...post swelling question Reply with quote

We have all done it when we had the standard pedals and I know that when I finally clip myself to my bike this will be something of a past memory, but thats not happening until I get comfortable with not falling off my bike. ((You were me once, stop smirking))

So the typical issue is that I slip, and the pedal goes and gives me a nice whack on my shin with a usual draw of blood and a long tirade of four letter words that most golfers/sailors would use in a normal day.

The issue I have is that after I nurse myself with peroxide and the standard keep it clean procedure, I notice that it takes a long time for the swelling to go down. It's not the bad swelling either, it's the I can still feel the bump where my last pedal whacked from last month occured kind of swelling. No darkened lesions, or any thing that would look out of the ordinary except that the swelling around the shin area is felt. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything here, and if anyone has an idea on how to make it go away faster that would be great.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH:

It is likely you have a calcified hematoma from the whack you had a month ago to the shin. With the bruise you incurred over the shin bone, it is likely there was a bruise to the overlying bone covering (the periosteum). That triggers bone repairing cells to move into the hematoma and in the healing process, bone growth into the hematoma and calcification results. Over time (many months) the bone will gradually reshape and the bump will lessen but it may never totally go away.

Be alert to signs of developing infection: increasing redness, swelling pain, local warmth, pus drainage or fever. If any of these develop, then get an immediate medical evaluation.

If you have no signs of infection, get back on your bike but add some shin guards (elbow guards too especially when you first switch to clipless pedals). I use them all the time now when I ride in Palo Duro for two benefits: to save the shins and elbows from my unscheduled dismounts and to stave off cactus spines and thorns.

Keep on pedaling AH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: