TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blood Pressure Meds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
New

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Blood Pressure Meds Reply with quote

The doc put me on blood pressure meds due to hereditary high blood pressure. I am on the dieuretics...the ones that make me pee a lot.

I am in my twenties, have low cholesterol, eat a vegetarian diet, ride/exercise daily.

Shall I change anything? Thx.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny:

Keep doing what you are doing with your exercise, diet and blood pressure medication. Monitor your blood pressure at home with an electronic BP monitor that you have calibrated with your doctor's office BP monitor. Record your home blood pressures and have your doctor review them regularily ever 2-3 months until your BP has stabilized, then twice a year routinely. Avoid exercising in high heat and high humidity environments because your diuretic medications will make you more prone to dehydration and heat exhaustion and worse, heat stroke. In your monitoring your health status, also have your doctor check your blood lipid profile to see if you have other risk factors such as familial hypercholestrolemia which diet alone cannot addequatel control in many individuals so afflicted. And if at all possible, stay out of high stress jobs (tough in current economic times).
jamie
New

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to your doctor and let him/her know you want to race bikes in the Texas heat. different meds do different things . There are numerous types of BP medication and you need to get the right one for you

Best bet is to find a doctor willing to work with you so you can race in the heat, etc

Diet and stress reduction are key. Read up on the subject and get smart. Blood Pressure for DUmmies is a good primer but find a good doctor and work with them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: