TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another knee pain guestion for ya doc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannybaggett
New

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: another knee pain guestion for ya doc. Reply with quote

sitting @ a red light yesterday, about 300 ft from starting a road ride, the light turns green and as i start to push the right crank arm down i get a pretty decent shot of pain on just on the inside of upper knee ( from sitting position-with knee cap being 12oclock-it's just about 10oclockish). i countinue on ride with no pain untill the next stop light about 11 miles down the road, same pain. continue on ride with no other issues.....climbing or accelerating out of saddle, walking, jogging, sitting, no pain. no swelling whatsoever. but, from a sitting position, i get the the same pain at just about fully upright, and i noticed that my knee seemed a little weaker climbing a ladder at work whe i would put all my weight on the right leg.........any thoughts.
thanks in advance, for all you do.
danny
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannybaggett

The pain location and occurance sounds like it is originating from under the patella, the knee cap. The hard pushing of the crank from a stop and the climbing of the ladder triggering pain and weakness suggest you may be developing some inflammation to the underside of the patella cartiledge. Check your seat height making sure it is not too low. You should only have almost full extension of the knee when you are at bottom dead center on the crank for road riding (170 degrees of extension (180 degrees being full extension) and about 165 degrees of extension for off road riding. Use lower gears and a higher cadence when riding, avoiding big gear mashing. Lay off the ladders for a couple of weeks to allow healing. Avoid deep knee bends as well. If the pain persists or worsens at any time get an evaluation by your physician.

Thanks,
dannybaggett
New

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc, the pain isn't under the knee cap, it's about 1-1.5 inches above knee and towards inner part of leg.....saddle height hasn't changed, and i'll try to stay off ladders, although i need them where i work.
thanks.
D
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannybaggett:

With the pain being to the side of the knee, then likely you have medial collateral ligament inflammation or the medial meniscus inflammation. Similar management except more on the rest end for the next two weeks to allow healing of the inflammed areas. If there is no improvement or any marked worsening get evaluated by your physician.

Have you changed your clipless cleats or pedals where you may be getting either too little float? If the tension is too high to exit the pedals or you have to excessivel rotate to come unclipped, these things can also cause undo stress to the ligaments.

Thanks,
dannybaggett
New

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, for the reply doc. haven't changed anything on the bike for a long time.....been using the ultegra pedals and cleats forever (whatever cleats have the float in them),they are worn out tho. took a ride yesterday and felt ok. just kept my cadence up. but, i'll rest it some more.
thanks again
danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: