TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long road ride - nourishment question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wturner3
New

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Long road ride - nourishment question Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know of a road bike forum.

Rode the Katy Flatland today and at about 80 miles in I got a good bit of gas
Shocked

It wasn't a problem, I am just wondering if I did something wrong with my nourishment...too much or too little of something? Or an "it just happens" sort of thing.

I was eating watermelons with salt, pretzels, Gatorade with salt, and oranges and bananas. Anyway, this didn't happen the last time (first time) I did a century.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

wturner3:

You may have over done it on the simple carbohydrates and were pushing the good through your gut before you small intestines could digest it all before dumping the excess carbs into the colon where they were fermented by the bacteria there with the resultant gas. The gut can hand about 100 gram of carbohydrate an hour in digestion. Full strength Gatorade has 60 grams of glucose per 1000mls. If you drink 2 quarts an hour (a reasonable amount for the heat and humidity you were riding in) and you threw in some more carbs in the fruit you were eating you surpassed what your gut could digest and the excess got dumped in the colon and fermentation and the end resulting gas expounded. At least it kept wheel suckers off your tail pipe.

Try a dilute 3/4 strength Gatorade or drink water when you are eating other sources of carbohydrates and salt to keep from going overboard on the carbs.

Thanks,
wturner3
New

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: