TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

foot nerve pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfaroller
New

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: foot nerve pain Reply with quote

Bike Doc,
My adventure race partner has had an ongoing foot problem for a few years. She shattered a sesamoid bone behind her big toe (the ball of the foot) and had to have it removed. She had to have several other surgeries to become somewhat pain free. One of which was to cut the nerve because after a few miles of riding, her foot would begin to 'heat up' and the 'heat' would eventually move all the way up her leg and was very painful. Now, it is much better, but she is trying to do longer and longer rides. After a few hours, however, the burning pain returns and the only way to relieve it is to stop riding and go home. She can run without much pain, but riding a long ride seems to be an issue. Do you have any suggestions? Right now, she has her cleat moved as far back on the shoe as possible. Would moving the cleat forward, or trying a different shoe/cleat/pedal combination make any sense? Maybe a pedal with more of a platform? She rides eggbeaters right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She really, really wants to avoid another surgery. She has custom orthotics, and uses them when she rides...maybe a different type?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:58 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfaroller:

Have your friend check her shoes. She will want a rigid a shoe sole as possible to distribute the presure from the pedal (carbon fiber sole base). She will also want a shoe that gives her more wiggle room in the toe box. She will want to have them sized when she is wearing the below recommended support hose and her orthotics.

A wider based pedal should be looked at. There are several models of clipless down hill pedals and touring pedal that have a broader base to distribute the weight.

Wearing knee length support hose (they come in chainring grease black convieniently) can help by decreasing the swelling to the feet that can often occur with longer rides. I wear the support hose when I ride all the time because of swelling problems to my lower legs and feet. The swelling can cause further compression of the nerves in the foot and aggravate the hot foot/leg problem. I would recommned getting a pair made for men as the material is toughter than those that are made for women and will stand up to the rigors of cycling off road better.

Have her visit with her podiatrist to see if there are any adjustments needed on her custom orthodics. They may need to come down further and under the ball of the foot.

Thanks,
sfaroller
New

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I'll let her know! I hadn't thought of the support hose. I think that would be a great help!
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: