TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chronic upper hamstring and buttock pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:15 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Chronic upper hamstring and buttock pain Reply with quote

Hi Doc-

I'm a 58 year old cyclist and runner with two decades of experience in each discipline. For the last several months, I've been trying to get rid of a chronic pain in my left upper (inner) hamstring. The pain is a dull ache, deep in the hamstring, present both when cycling or running, and also painful when sitting. I can ride or run through the pain, but that's probably not a good long term strategy. I stretch daily, take Nuprin 2x per day, run on soft surfaces, and don't over train. Taking days off doesn't seem to help.

A search of these symptoms on the 'net yielded " sacrotuberus ligament sprain ... hamstring muscle syndrome". Is there a suggested course of treatment or physical therapy for what I've described? As usual, my GP suggested that I quit exercising for a couple of months or until the pain went away (right - no more 2-footed Prozac!). Comments?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcullins:

Taking a one - two week rest would be reasonable. You could even throw in some easy swimming, which is not weight bearing and non impact, to help keep your muscle tone without worsening a chronic injury while you take your sebatical. If the symptoms persist than an evaluation by a Physical Therapist and Sports Medicine doctor is in order. To try to sort out the cause and prescribe the best treatment course.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: