Shred de Roots (’22 Fall XC series)
Huntsville State Park – Huntsville, TX
On October 8th and 9th 2022, the Suzannah Smiles Foundation will be hosting Shred de Roots at Huntsville State Park. This event is a cross country bike race (XC) for all ages and skill levels and is part of the Texas Cup Series p/b Cycle Progression for the Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association (TMBRA).
In the last 11 years, Suzannah Smiles has raised over $325,000 to help Texas children and families impacted by Spina Bifida. All proceeds of this event will be donated directly to families impacted by Spina Bifida through scholarships and grants as well as to Spina Bifida Texas (SBTX). SBTX is often the first resource for families after diagnosis. Suzannah Smiles generates a sizable portion of SBTX’s operational capital for the year, and with your help, the 3rd edition of Shred de Roots will allow us to serve more families across our State! We can race, laugh, have fun, enjoy a wonderful day outside, and raise money for a worthy cause!
About Spina Bifida: It is estimated that Spina Bifida affects two out of every 1,000 births in Texas, almost twice the national average. Spina Bifida is a birth defect that occurs when the lower end of the spinal cord does not form properly in the developing baby. Paralysis, loss of bowel and/or bladder control, brain damage and learning disabilities are among the many challenges associated with this complex disability. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), if every woman of childbearing age (15-44) would take a daily vitamin containing 400mcg of folic acid, the incidences of Spina Bifida would be reduced by 70%.
Registration is ONLINE ONLY! This registration platform is available via web browser or mobile device through NOON Sunday, Oct. 9th. There will be absolutely NO in-person dictation or handwritten release/registration forms available at the race venue.
Tiered registration pricing will be used based on the below fee schedule. Start the registration process by selecting Single Registration or Group Registration (for participants residing at the same address -or- registering the same participant for multiple race categories). Registration fees will be collected at the end of the online registration process.
Quick Details/Fine Print:
- A day pass is required to enter Huntsville State Park. A day pass for race day is included with the registration fee if registered by midnight, Sat. Oct. 8th. Texas State Parks require a day pass for all attendees who are 13 years or older. Additional day passes can be purchased for friends and family who would like to attend the event and are entering the park in the same vehicle. All day pass(es) wil be included as a PDF attachment to the registration confirmation email.
- Day passes included with registration will have exclusive use to the second line and be waved through (must print & display day pass receipt from registration confirmation email). MINIMAL WAITING!
- Near final (as of Fri., Oct. 7th) detailed race schedule will be available online: tmbra.link/RaceStarts-22
- Onsite number plate pickup: Sunday *only*, Oct. 9th, starting at 7:00 AM.
- TMBRA Kids’ Kup Clinic and Race will be held SATURDAY, Oct. 8th at 2:00 PM. Kids’ Kup registration opens at noon and runs until 1:45P.
Race Entry Fees:
NOTE: Registration fees for racers age 13+ include a Huntsville SP day pass if registered BEFORE midnight, Saturday Oct. 8th
- Juniors 12 and under : $20
- Juniors 13 – 18 : $35
- Adults 19+ :
- Standard: $60
- Late: $70 (Sat. Oct. 8th until 8:00P)
- Last Minute: $75 (Sat. Oct. 8th 8:01P until Sun. Oct. 9th 12:10P) ** does not include day pass, racer must wait in regular entrance line at the gate to Hunstville SP to purchase a day pass
Race Wave Start Times & Distance:
- 8:00 AM : Juniors 11-12 (2 laps, 5 miles), Juniors 10U (1 lap, 2.5 miles)
- 9:30 AM : E-Bike (Class 1 pedal assist only) (2 laps, 20 miles)
- 9:35 AM : M/W Pro/Elite, M/W Master Open, Cat 1 and Singlespeed Open (3 laps, 30 miles -or- 2 laps, 20 miles)
- 10:00 AM : Cat 2 racers and Singlespeed 2/3 (2 laps, 20 miles)
- 12:20 PM : Juniors 13-14 and all Cat 3 racers (1 lap, 10 miles)
More precise race class start times will be made available no later than the week prior to the race weekend. Check back here, TMBRA website or watch TMBRA social channels for start times.
Big thanks to all our sponsors who make this event happen:
Which day will the Cat 2 races be held and what time?
Hi Mark, all Cycle Progression Texas Cup races are held on Sundays in the morning.
What day/time are the kid races? Also, if we have an 8 year old and a 10 year old who would race, would their races be far enough apart to race the same bike or would the need to each have their own bike? Thanks!
Hi Dean, we haven’t got the exact schedule yet for our start waves, but usually 8 and under and 10 and under start around the same time. The Kids Cup, for younger kids or kids not quite ready for the “big” course happens on Saturday afternoon around 1 pm. Check back here and follow our social media channels for updated information. We post it here as soon as we get it from our Race Directors.
Thanks for the info Dave, will do!
Juniors 13-14 race is on Sunday the 9th?
Correct, Juniors 13-14 race on Sunday the 9th
What about race day park entry for friends/family *not* in the same vehicle? We have family in Houston that would like to come up and watch the races, but all of the Day Passes for October 9th are reserved.
Hi Kathy, good question. I’m not sure. Contact the race director Tommy @ email@example.com he will be able to provide an answer for you.
You can purchase additional day passes for all when you register.
Thank you Tommy. I saw that additional passes can be purchased during registration for those that are “entering the park in the same vehicle”, but what about someone coming in separately? My car only holds 2 people and they would be coming to the race from a different direction and at a different time than us.
If we have kids (ages 12, 10, 7, 5) who all plan to race the kids cup race on Saturday but I wanted to ask if they are also able to race the junior race on Sunday morning? And if so, is it possible for them to race on Saturday afternoon and if they enjoy it (first timers to racing but not to riding) can we sign them up on the spot Saturday to race Sunday morning? Thanks!
You can register up until 30 minutes before your race starts. It does cost more if you wait until Saturday after 12pm and you have to wait in the line at the gate since you won’t have a pre purchased day pass.
All kids can race if they are comfortable on the trails for 2.5 miles for u10, 5 miles for u12.
Is a course map or file available yet? Thanks!
Hi Kyle, here ya go https://www.strava.com/activities/7829250612
Awesome thanks Dave!
How many laps is Men 40-49 Cat 1? I can’t tell if it’s 2 or 3.
HI Dan, Cat 1 40-49 do 3 laps
Will there be a E-Bike class at the last race at Faulkner Park.
Hi Louie, I just spoke to the race director. Yes there will be an E-bike class.